Time Management, Personal Organization and more by Ari Petroff, an ADHD/ADD Coach at ADDvance Treatment Centres -- A specialized ADHD/ADD treatment centre in Toronto.
ADHD/ADD and Time Management tips
- Create to-do list for the next day every night
- Do a weekly version before the week begins
- Write all appointment times for doing course work using the calendar or planner. Including leisure activities and household chores
- Check the planner AT THE SAME TIME every day to see what needs to be done
- Set Alarm reminders for scheduled activities, class times, study time, and personal appointments
- Have a timer beep every hour to get a sense of the clock
- Break down all tasks into doable chunks on a master calendar, white board, etc
ADHD/ADD and Personal Organization tips
- Label Everything. Color code and delegate a color for specific subjects (The calendar provided works great for this)
- Do a daily maintenance. Pick up all loose items to eliminate as much clutter and maintain order so that the mess doesn’t bombard you and have a negative emotional affect
- Give each item it’s own default “home”
- Avoid Overload. Do you need every sheet of paper in your binder?
Take as much pressure “off your brain” in order to remember things without having to think about it.
- Use an audio recording to remember things
- When doing work, set time aside (the beginning works well) to review previous material20-30 minute review sessions work better than the last minute CRAMMING
- Take notes as you go rather than waiting until after the factUse “post its,” “bunny ears,” or anything other means to mark the important material
- When reading, the more senses that are involved, the better then chance for memory retention.